What Is Depression?
Often the term depression is used to mean, I’m feeling sad, or I’m feeling down, but depression, or depressive disorders, are more serious that just temporarily feeling sad.
Depression includes feeling helpless and hopeless most of the time. These feelings can last for weeks, months or years and can vary in intensity during this time.
There are several different types of depression. If you think you are depressed, or if your feelings of sadness, hopelessness or helplessness have lasted for a long time, call and speak to one of our counselors today.
Clinical depression can include some of the following symptoms:
- Feelings of hopelessness and/or helplessness
- Persistent feelings of emptiness
- Changes in sleep patterns (sleeping too much, or not sleeping enough)
- Changes in eating habits (eating too much, or not eating enough)
- Loss of interest in activities you used to like
- Decreased energy
- Aches and pains, headaches, digestive problems and other physical symptoms
- Thoughts that you’d be better off dead
- Thoughts of suicide